Connect with us


A university campus became a virtual battlefield in Hong Kong



A university campus became a virtual battlefield in Hong Kong

HONG KONG — The clash between the police and students became an important focus on one of Hong Kong’s major universities as both sides fought for hours to control a bridge across a highway near the University of Hong Kong.

The Molotov-armed protesters, bricks and javelins, confronted the police with water cannons and tear gas and blazed vehicles on the bridge. After almost six months of unrest and similar conflicts in universities throughout the city, scenes at the CUHK are suggesting a new front for violence between police and pro-democracy protestors.

In some cases protesters are still moving up the bridge where police are, and despite a fire which was mainly at 1:09 pm–12 nov 2019, Hong Kong tensions have escalated since Alex Chow, a student, died on Friday after falling from a car park where police were dispersing protesters. Tensions have escalated. He is the first official victim of the protests. During the weekend, the protest cries turned to demands for vengeance.

In recent months, law enforcement methods have changed with bans on people who wear facial coverings in public, subway closures, and the police often shooting live. In October, Hong Kong police shot the protester for the first time with a live bullet. On Monday, another demonstrator was shot blankly, as another man fired after protestors were scolded, according to videos widely circulated in the social media.

Students at CUHK barricaded at the campus, near a bridge occupied by riot police since Monday. In a clash Tuesday afternoon, students threw bricks and Molotov cocktails at a riot police line. After numerous rounds of tear gas, police charged and arrested demonstrators on the ground. One seemed to bleed from the head. After a group of protestors retreated to an athletic field, the door was locked and police answered with more tear gas.

Late in the afternoon, Rocky Tuan, vice-chancellor and president of CUHK, served as a police-student intermediary.

Emotions were high all day long as students called for the police to be free of their campus. During one point, as the talks began, a young activist took the long route towards the police and reversed the chainsaw. A group of protesters just before he was arrested, convinced him to turn it out and put it down before he was kissed.

A protestor came down the street and turned to where the police were stationed— a group of protestors stopped him, persuaded him to put it down, switch it off and surrounded him in a huge hug at 10:08 AM–12 Nov 2019 When Tuan got back from negotiations, he offered a resolution to students that the security of universities would protect the bridge and the police would remain, if the students st. However, students were unhappy, some began to cry and demand answers as to why police were at all on their campus.

Still barricades up at CUHK and bridge No2 riot police. Students barricading their own campuses 07:09 a.m.-12 Nov 2019 CUHK Frontline students refused to leave until they were informed by the police of the safety of the detainees.

“Those are our two conditions or we don’t quit,” a leader told BuzzFeed News when the fire still crackled in the background.

Christ almighty, they have literally fired tear gas into a crowd which now contains a university head, nothing visible, but still shootings at 11:31 a.m. –Nov 12, 2019 During the night on campus, protesters took barricades, the fresh Molotovs, and storage back near the bridge where riot police stayed and new clashes broke out quickly. The small junction was full of thick tear gas clouds, widespread fires and rounds of rubber bullets.

Despite the heavy fire, student protestors were able to push the police slowly across the bridge. They wore umbrellas, held shields and threw cocktails from Molotov to gain ground.

Others used leaf blowers to clear the air of tear gas.

Some of the most heavy tear gas I saw in part BC is taking place in a small area, police and protesters still on the bridge just a few meters away. The best way to clear all the tear gas smoke is by using a leaf blower— 12 November 2019 The police used a water cannon to oblige the students to withdraw from the bridge. But minutes later, they built new fires and started to push the bridge over again. Eventually, the police withdrawn and students constructed barriers to the bridge to hold their ground, dragging even a burnt-out car and golf carts to help block the bridge.

Hundreds of protesters gathered on the bridge early on Wednesday morning as the hours passed.

Otherwise on Tuesday, office workers gathered at lunchtime in Hong Kong’s main business district to stop busses and trains.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright © 2014 | StackGiant Tech Pvt Ltd