According to county officials, Hillsborough County’s Zone A has been ordered to evacuate.
The declaration was made by Hillsborough County Administrator Bonnie Wise at a press conference held at the Hillsborough Public Safety Operations Complex on Monday at 10 a.m. At 2:00 PM, the order will become effective.
A voluntary evacuation was advised for Zone B, according to Wise.
The storm poses a major threat, therefore we must take all necessary precautions to safeguard our folks, Wise said. “We did not come to this decision lightly.
The administrator claimed that the packed, unpleasant evacuation shelters should only be used as a last option. She advised locals to seek refuge with someone who resides at least 20 miles inland.
General population shelters can be found in the following places:
- Burnett Middle, 1010 N Kingsway Rd., Seffner
- Durant High School, 4748 Cougar Path, Plant City
- Lockhart Elementary, 3719 N 17TH St., Tampa
- Middleton High School, 4801 N 22nd St., Tampa
- Newsome High School, 16550 Fishhawk Blvd., Lithia
- Pizzo Elementary, 11701 Bull Run, Tampa
- Reddick Elementary, 325 West Lake Dr., Wimauma
- Sickles High School, 7950 Gunn Highway, Tampa
- Steinbrenner High School, 5575 W. Lutz Lake Fern Rd., Lutz
- Valrico Elementary, 609 S Miller Rd., Valrico
- Benito Middle, 10101 Cross Creek Blvd., Tampa
- Boyette Springs Elementary, 10141 Sedgebrook Dr., Riverview
- Sessums Elementary, 11525 Ramble Creek Dr., Tampa
- Cypress Creek Elementary, 4040 19th Ave. NE, Ruskin
- Hammond Elementary, 8008 N. Mobley Rd., Odessa
- Jennings Middle, 9325 Govenors Rd., Seffner
- Marshall Middle, 18 S. Maryland Ave., Plant City
- Mulrennan Middle, 4215 Durant Rd., Tampa
- Nelson Elementary, 5413 Durant Rd., Tampa
- Shields Middle, 15732 Beth Shields Way, Ruskin
- Turner Elementary, 9020 Imperial Oaks Blvd., Tampa
- Wharton High School, 20150 Bruce B. Downs Blvd., Tampa
- Bartels Middle, 9190 Imperial Oaks Blvd., Tampa
- Barrington Middle, 5925 Village Center Dr., Lithia
- Brandon High School, 1101 Victoria St., Brandon
- Cimino Elementary, 4329 Culbreath Rd., Valrico
- Knights Elementary, 4815 N. Keene Rd., Plant City
- Martinez Middle, 5601 W. Lutz Lake Fern Rd., Lutz
- McKitrick Elementary, 5503 Lutz Lake Fern Rd., Lutz
- Pride Elementary, 10310 Lions Den Dr., Tampa
- Smith, Sgt. Paul Middle, 14303 Citrus Pointe Dr., Tampa
- Summerfield Elementary, 11990 Big Bend Rd., Riverview
- Tomlin Middle, 501 N. Woodrow Wilson, Plant City
- Turkey Creek Middle, 5005 Turkey Creek Rd., Plant City
- Dorothy York Innovation Academy , 5995 Covington Garden Drive, Apollo Beach
- Bevis Elementary, 5720 Osprey Ridge Dr., Lithia
- Bowers-Whitley Career Center, 13609 N. 22nd St., Tampa
- Wilson Elementary, 702 English St., Plant City
- Cannella Elementary, 10707 Nixon Rd., Tampa
The following will be special needs and pet-friendly shelters:
- Erwin Tech, 2010 E. Hillsborough Ave., Tampa
- Sumner High School, 10650 County Road 672, Riverview
- Strawberry Crest High School, 4691 Gallagher Rd., Dover
- Riverview High School School, 11311 Boyette Rd., Riverview
Only individuals with medical conditions that require electrical assistance or those with mental conditions that cannot be treated in a general population shelter are eligible for the special needs shelters.
Tose with pets are required to carry a leash, a robust carrier that lets the animal to stand up and walk around, and enough pet supplies to last a week.
Sheriff Chad Chronister stated that more police officers will be there to assist with protecting people’s residences and possessions. People were encouraged to take the evacuation seriously by the sheriff.
He declared, “We can put everything in life, but we can’t replace a life.
In order to better safeguard inhabitants throughout the disaster, Chronister also said that evictions have been delayed for the next week.
The county closed all county facilities as part of its efforts to lessen Ian’s effects thus far and help emergency operations.
Sandbags may now be picked up by residents from the following places on Monday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Plant City, Florida 33567, 6140 Turkey Creek Road, Edward Medard Conservation Park
- Ruskin, Florida 33570, 2401 19th Avenue NW, E.G. Simmons Conservation Park
- Tampa, Florida 33626, 14720 Ed Radice Dr., Ed Radice Sports Complex
Ten bags per family will be allowed for residents to take. To obtain the bags, you must present ID or a current electricity bill.